Thursday 26 January 2012

Down with TheRegulator

What is an Alternator?

Since I bought TheSuperCamp, my days have followed this pattern-

Waking up early, thinking about which part I am going to work on.
Going and working on her, applying what I have learnt from the internet the previous night.
Coming home when it gets too dark to work. 
Researching what I will need for tomorrow.

The main focus of this pattern so far has been to understand how an engine recharges it's battery and consequently, why mine doesn't. I am not an engineer by education or practice but I am starting to appreciate how an engineering problem gets solved in a logical, sequential nature.

1. Understand how the system as a whole works
2. Understand how each separate part performs it's function as part of the whole
3. Interpret the systems behaviour (or misbehaviour) as interaction of the parts.
4. Make a supposition of the misbehaviour based on this understanding
5. Isolate functions to narrow down influencing factors
6. Prove or disprove your supposition

So, in front of TheSuperCamp I try to demonstrate this logical behaviour- for I don't want her to think [know] she is at the hands of a ham-fisted anti-mechanic. However behind her back I squirrel my way through the internet, frantically assembling little bits of information from every source I can find. But each bit of information references an unknown, so you research that unknown but that also references a different unknown and so you follow the trail until you circle yourself enough to start to recognise where you are.

And this is exactly what I have done with TheAlternator. What follows is what I have learnt, so skip the blue passage if you  
a. already know the workings of TheAlternator.
b. don't think you will be excited by the workings of TheAlternator.

Essentially, TheAlternator converts rotational energy provided by the engine into electricity.
This electricity is what charges the car battery and powers all electrical components of TheSuperCamp whilst the engine is in motion. However, the voltage of the electricity made by TheAlternator must be regulated, otherwise it would increase as the engine gathered speed. This would cause inconsistency in the electrical supply and possible overheating. Most alternators now have inbuilt regulators, however TheSuperCamp, being a child from the 70's, has an external one. So...bear with me...TheAlternator has four connections 

B+   D+   D-   DF

B+ and D+ are exactly the same. They output electricity generated by TheAlternator
The difference is that B+ goes to the battery to recharge it, D+ goes to the regulator. I like to think of D+ as bit of a snitch, running to TheRegulator to inform on TheAlternator. TheRegulator wants TheAlternator to consistently put out out 14.4 volts, however TheAlternator, being a sort of renegade will just keep putting out as much as it can. 

Best diagram I can find


This is the clever bit though and where TheRegulator has TheAlternator by the balls....TheAlternator can only produce current from the combination of rotational motion + current. And though it is itself that is producing the current, it is going through that dirty little snitch D+ to TheRegulator. TheRegulator then rations out TheAlternators own current back to it through DF to control the amount produced (through B+ and D+). TheAlternator is being middled! D- is ground, finds the whole situation rather unpleasant and would rather keep it's distance.

There is an extra loop which affects TheBatteryWarningLight but I think that is more than enough rambling-vehicular-personification for now.


 So, what it come down to is that I now realise TheRegulator is broken...serves it right.

And so I can shoe horn a picture in, here is a grinded, buffed and red oxide-ed tail.



No comments:

Post a Comment