Wednesday 25 January 2012

Bright As the Sun and Twice as Powerful

What is TheSupercamp?

Technically, she is a 1975 Mercedes Hanomag L206d aka Henschel 2-T, or The Harburger Transporter. A rose by any other name...
Mercedes-Benz W123

She has a Mercedes OM615.941 2.2 engine (2197cc to be precise) which was also used in the Mercedes-Benz W123 shown opposite. From the size of the bonnet in this picture, I don't know what else is under there, because the engine in TheSuperCamp seems much smaller than that.






What else is TheSupercamp?

One of my heroes is Ken Kesey, author of 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest', exponent of LSD, pioneer of the 60's era, instigator of adventures across america on the Good ship 'Further.' Inspired by 'On The Road' by Kerouac, he and his friends bought the bus, painted it and set off to the East coast. I guess TheSuperCamp is my own version....but less colourful and without so much acid. I quite want to do something reckless, and misinformed, it's rather refreshing.







How is TheSupercamp?

I bought her from JennyInHatfield for the princely sum of 700 after seeing this advert on ebay. It was pretty much the first camper I saw which either means it was fate or that I am easily sold, neither of which are particularly attractive.






After picking her up on the back of TimFromBrackley's trailer, and bringing her back to Birmingham I had a proper chance to make a list.


Pro's


1. The engine is excellent- apart from alternator problems, which i'll look at tomorrow
2. The chassis and main frame is solid and rust free
3. The fibreglass roof is waterproof
4. She is  bright as the sun and twice as powerful
Con's

 There is no passenger foot well. 1
You could fit the wheels through the holes in the wheel arches. 2
The back door is not only unattached, but the frame it attaches to is very rotten. 3
  The sills fall about 3" short, I don't think this is as standard. 4
I know very little about doing up a campervan 5



I am planning to learn to weld on TheSuperCamp. Until then, I am immersing myself in the workings of alternators, regulators, B+'s, D+'s, DF's and D-'s.

No comments:

Post a Comment