Monday 30 January 2012

You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Why is Welding so Hard?

In one of my previous entries, I wrote about the pattern of waking, working and researching. This has worked well for some aspects of TheSuperCamp. Notably my understanding and subsequent diagnosis of a duff regulator which, I am pleased to say, has now been replaced for £10 and has solved my battery charging issues. 


Confident in my faith in the internet and it's ability to teach me almost anything, I applied this to welding. A quick browse through some tutorials, a bit of theory, some forum tips and I thought I was ready to wield the welder. This quickly proved to be at best naive and at worst slightly dangerous.


Ideal setting for FirstWeld vs My setting for FirstWeld


Today I embark on my first weld. I enrolled in college a few weeks ago and after a week of introduction to welding fundamentals which include health and safety, explanation of equipment, demonstrations and understanding the right materials to use, I am now ready- under the tutelage of my highly experienced tutor- to weld my first piece.  
How lucky I am to be in this ideal setting. A lovely, warm, clean workshop; a high quality MIG welder in my gloved hands; a quality welding mask over my face; my brand new piece of thick mild steel in the vice in front of me and the encouraging eye of my tutor to guide me through these first steps. I feel a hand on my shoulder and he whispers "it's time". 

I lean in towards the steel, confident on the preparation of the material and the welder, excited at the prospect of putting into practice all I had learnt up to now. I hold the welder tip the correct 10mm away from the steel, bring the mask down over my eyes and 'CZZzzzzz!!!' the trigger sends the arc of electricity to the metal and melts it before my eyes. I remember my training and slowly move the tip along in a slight weaving motion so as not to 'blow holes' in the metal. Before I can catch my breath it's over and I have done it. I remove the mask and see a 20cm long, hardening weld along the sheet of metal. I here a slight sob and see my tutor wiping his eyes, "this is what's it all about son...." he manages....



Jesus, I can't believe it's raining. What a shitty day. Why am I even doing this? I could be at home right now instead of here- cold, dirty and increasingly wet. Well, I suppose now's a good time as any to give it a go. How hard can it be? the guy in the video made it look easy enough.

I think I've chosen the right place to start welding. It's hidden so if it goes wrong it won't be too bad. But then again, it's hidden because it's right in the back corner which actually looks quite difficult to get to now, what with the wheel arch in the way...ah well, if I lie down on my side on the frame and...sort of hang my legs out the back as a counter balance... it kind of works....

I wish I could have found the gloves and it's a bit annoying that this helmet doesn't have a a headstrap- I could really do with having both hands free. Jesus, my legs are getting wet. I've grinded away as much of the rust and dirt as I could, but some of it's still there. And to be honest I'm a bit worried that this patching piece is not much thicker than tin foil. Oh well, here goes.

What?! I can't see anything through this mask! where the hell is anything? I hope the welder is alright out in the rain. Oh well, just squeeze the trigger....'Czzzz!! SPlutTer CCzz!' Fuck!, i've blown a hole right through the panel! I wasn't even aiming for that panel. Calm... try again.....'Czz!! sPluttEr, CCzz! SHIT!!


And so on....It seems I have found something that the internet can't teach you. So plan B is some good old fashioned practice. Perhaps it was hasty of me to jump straight on to TheSuperCamp and a few hours of doing straight welds on a clean, flat piece would be a better strategy.

Whilst I recover from the WeldingDentInMyPride, I have been working on the rear panels. I have ground away all rust, applied a few layers of red oxide and have filled in the scarily big holes.

I hate this tool
Untouched


Rust removed, red-oxide added
1st layer of Filler!


No comments:

Post a Comment