Friday 27 January 2012

A Diversion

So, six days in and I've had my first bad day. The spectre of having to weld TheSuperCamp, nay, learn to weld TheSuperCamp has hung over me from the first instance. Today it arrived.


When you go to view a vehicle there is a certain amount of bravado and shrewd performance. You and the seller have to size each other up. From the walk up the drive, to the handshake and polite small talk, you set about working out how much the other knows about vehicle valuation. As the buyer, you are also wary of someone knowingly trying to offload a banger.

After a brief exchange of pleasantries, the "Shall we have a look then" is the signal for the vehicle walkaround to begin. Under the watchful gaze of the seller, it is now your time to shine.  

Rule number 1- Never give away the fact you have fallen desperately in love with the vehicle from the moment you saw it on eBay.

You must appear cool, unimpressed, casual. Each gesture is designed to deflate the seller's confidence in his asking price. You must tap the chassis with a wince, squeeze a rubber pipe with a look of disappointment, you must go out of your way to find a patch of rust and scratch it. At this point you may take the liberty of glancing at the seller, not for too long! careful, don't ham it up too much. Just long enough for him to know that you know he knows. (of course neither of you know what there is to know, but you start to suspect that the other knows something you don't ah..the battle has begun)

Buyer: Alright mate Oh god, oily overalls...this is a bad sign
Seller: How you doing? I think the overalls have worked. Hope I haven't overdone the oil
Buyer: Not bad, not bad. Took me a while to find it, but....  where the hell am I?
Seller: You got a TomTom?  It's quite hard to find
Buyer: Nah, just checked the map.   How did I still get lost with TomTom??
....and so on.....
Seller: Shall we have a look then? Here we go. I am a powerful, confident man, repeat...
Buyer: Yeah, let's see it. I am a powerful, confident man, repeat...
Seller: She's a great runner  Nice work on the 'she', I sound like a ship's captain
Buyer: Mmm (non-commital) My god, how could man create such a thing of beauty!
Seller: Low mileage I've really got no idea what that would constitute
Buyer: Mmm (unconviced) Sweet metal Adonis, where for have thou been!?
Seller: No rust Please don't see the rust
Buyer: Oh no, here's a bit YES! here we go, scratch it and....LOOK! got him!

So where does TheSuperCamp come in? Luckily JennyFromHatfield was lovely and I'm still in contact with her. The point is I saw how much welding had to be done when I first went to see it. Today I tried my first weld and now the amount of work ahead of me has grown substantially in my mind.

Before
After
 P.S TheRegulator arrived in the post today, we shall see on Sunday if it works.


1 comment:

  1. Bridge,

    Glad to see she is getting a good seeing too.
    I am watching with interest on her progress.

    I shed a little tear for her but i knew she was going to a good home.
    I would of liked to finish her myself and get her shiny and smiling but for me she was too much to do on my own. Maybe a little help from my dad (all he did was sit on the wall drink tea and smoke).

    I have to say that i will be envious when you have finished her, but it will be for a very good person like you to get the glory from your hard work.

    Her brief history with me:

    She lived with Trevor in carlisle next to Hadriens wall. Trevor was selling her because he wanted to fix up a 1940's wooden boat. One of his ventures.

    Trevor is a cross between a farmer, an old hippy and a funny uncle. He is one of the kindest men you will ever meet. (apart from you).

    I then spoke to him a few weeks after i bought her to find out his boat idea is to the wind when after an inspection it was rotton through, so he then bought another l206d.

    I will be following her here.

    Regards jenny

    ReplyDelete